The four project I started had all started to feel like none would be finished any time soon. So I wanted a quick a easy project I could complete. My work on the zombie table runner has had me looking into quilting techniques. So I wanted to quickly quilt something, I had ordered some Insul-Bright to play with so I decided the a pot holder was the perfect project.
I made two separate side the used bias binding to connect them whilst adding a loop to hand it. The first side I went for a curvy free motion style (whilst using a normal foot) but I really didn’t like the result, on the lines of dots it didnt complement the fabric at all. The second side I took a much more angular approach, which suited the pattern more. half way through I tried to work with the pattern, this was the most effective quilting.
putting bias binding on all those layers was a challenge, there defiantly room for improvement!
I found an awesome blog by Creativerus! I was completely inspired by her leather work. I really wanted to make a mask, because her work was so stunning. I have a lot of projects on the go at the moment, 6 that I want to finish in the next 2 weeks before going to my first LARP event. I couldn’t justify making a mask at the moment. Then on Facebook it was posted that someone had a masquerade event at Empire. This was just the excuse I need to bump the mask up my to do list!
I loved the cut out mask and I thought I could reproduce it quite easy and set about making it. My cuts are not as good as I would have liked as the scalpel blade I was using for the beginning was a bit dull. I tried to introduce bevel edges to the design this was a mistake. Overall I’m pleased with the result and want to move onto designing my own mask rather than just reproducing other peoples design. Also I think I could take some really nice pictures of it when I get my SLR up and running again.
I’m Going to my first LARP (Live Action Role Play) event at Easter. I really enjoying the preparation for it, it has got back into sewing again. I haven’t used my machine for month and now all I want to do in the evenings is sew.
I used empire pattern for a T Tunic which is really simple and easy, I adjusted the size as the given measurements were huge! I added facing to the neckline to give a more polished finish, I also added Flat felled seam’s to give a move historic look.
I am planning to make it again out of a woollen fabric adding darts to improve the fit.
The Trousers I adapted from a 70’s pattern. I shortened the length, and made them gathered by adding fabric by gores which matched the style of the tunic. I finished the trouser with green felt at the gathers and the fastening.
After spending a week of being ill, I was elated when I finally managed to be in a state where I could mange the concentration and strength involved in doing some leather working. I had felt quite trapped in my room so I celebrated by working on things that I could wear out in this mythical land outside the four walls I had been confined to. I worker on a cuff, choker and bracer. I’m still waiting on dyes so the only piece that is completed is the cuff pictured.
The cogs were a little to small to be tooled accurately at my current skill level, but I am still pleased with the outcome.
So I attended a screen printing workshop at the London Textiles Studio today, it was amazing fun it felt great to have a Squeegee back in my hand, another thing that has been missing for about ten years. I’m really pleased with the results and about im about to spend a few hours internet shopping to get my own kit.
The Design is inspired from some vintage tattoo flash I’ve been experimenting with.