I found an awesome blog by Creativerus! I was completely inspired by her leather work. I really wanted to make a mask, because her work was so stunning. I have a lot of projects on the go at the moment, 6 that I want to finish in the next 2 weeks before going to my first LARP event. I couldn’t justify making a mask at the moment. Then on Facebook it was posted that someone had a masquerade event at Empire. This was just the excuse I need to bump the mask up my to do list!
I loved the cut out mask and I thought I could reproduce it quite easy and set about making it. My cuts are not as good as I would have liked as the scalpel blade I was using for the beginning was a bit dull. I tried to introduce bevel edges to the design this was a mistake. Overall I’m pleased with the result and want to move onto designing my own mask rather than just reproducing other peoples design. Also I think I could take some really nice pictures of it when I get my SLR up and running again.
So I’m trying to make a pauldron for my first LARP event in 2 weeks. The Tower design is the symbol for the Shattered Tower, who is the group I’m going with.
I wasn’t able to follow any on line pattern as all I had was scraps of leather so the first trick was to work which pieces I could use to make the design.
So then I tested putting it all together. It wasn’t quite right, Thankfully a friend pointed out the joins were to low down on each piece.
I would have to make new rivet holes, but what to do with the old ones? I cut the old whole off and made the diagonal corners a design feature, I then realised the diagonals really suited edges so started experimenting with widths
I like the wide edge but my rivet hole are set at 2 cm, so the smaller 1 cm edge compliments them a lot more.
The Pauldrons are starting to look finished, I just need finalise the shape of the top piece. I would also like to edge the top piece but I’m not sure if its possible after dying it.
I’m Going to my first LARP (Live Action Role Play) event at Easter. I really enjoying the preparation for it, it has got back into sewing again. I haven’t used my machine for month and now all I want to do in the evenings is sew.
I used empire pattern for a T Tunic which is really simple and easy, I adjusted the size as the given measurements were huge! I added facing to the neckline to give a more polished finish, I also added Flat felled seam’s to give a move historic look.
I am planning to make it again out of a woollen fabric adding darts to improve the fit.
The Trousers I adapted from a 70’s pattern. I shortened the length, and made them gathered by adding fabric by gores which matched the style of the tunic. I finished the trouser with green felt at the gathers and the fastening.
So we have a new house mate, to celebrate I made a new cushion for the living room with all of our initials on it – Katie, Sarah, Karl, Jon. I have some leather piece that I have dyed as well but I haven’t photographed them yet. I now have space for my lights so I waiting on setting those up before I post anything!
After spending a week of being ill, I was elated when I finally managed to be in a state where I could mange the concentration and strength involved in doing some leather working. I had felt quite trapped in my room so I celebrated by working on things that I could wear out in this mythical land outside the four walls I had been confined to. I worker on a cuff, choker and bracer. I’m still waiting on dyes so the only piece that is completed is the cuff pictured.
The cogs were a little to small to be tooled accurately at my current skill level, but I am still pleased with the outcome.
I used an image of vintage tattoo flash for my screen prints a while ago, I started reusing it for inspiration.
A few weeks ago I used it to do some appliqué on my circle skirt. Circle skirts are traditionally appliqué with poodle hence why there often called poodle skirts. I didn’t really fancy sewing a poodle onto my skirt, so I appliqué the design I used for the screen printing, Unfortunately I didn’t photograph it until after I had worn it out on my birthday, it defiantly lost some of its definition in the wash.
Since I been doing leather work I have imagined using this image for a cameo corset. I love the style of Louise Black cameo corsets but I want a front Busk. So I think this will mean using a front panel with two busk which is a style of corset I have seen used a lot by harlots and angels. I will have to adapt an existing pattern it’s just a case of deciding which one now.
I’m really pleased with this Leather tooling, even though it very clear that I have more experience carving flower than faces! Hopefully I will be able to use it on the finished corset. Just waiting on all of my dyes to turn up so I can start finishing it properly.
I have been experimenting with leather work. It’s something I wanted to try for while, this Christmas my parents kindly got me a beginners leather work kit. I’m still eating turkey sandwiches and I have made everything possible in the kit, I’ve ordered more supply on eBay and waiting with bated breath for them to arrive, holiday post sucks! At the moment I foresee Leather cos-play armour but once I am more used manipulating Leather a corset is in order. I can see a corset with a large carved leather cameo on the horizon.